I've recently signed on to a program that provides me with books that are not yet released and allows me to keep them as long as I will proofread and review them. For a book worm like me, especially now that I no longer have schoolwork to take up my time, this is a dream come true.
In the past two months I've read 4 such books, everything from vampires to bees, and I have to say it amazes me what people will make into a story these days.
One of the last ones I read--I won't print the name as I am not sure if I am allowed to--actually had spanking threats in it. Its a story of a doctor who meets a cowboy at the World Fair in 1893, and the push and shove of women's lib and old school cowboy mentality ensues, with the heroine getting herself in constant scrapes and the cowboy promising--in wild west lingo--to spank her but never actually having the balls to do so. For someone like me, its a frustratingly bad story of a woman who flaunts her need to be spanked constantly and there isn't a single person-male or female-within a hundred miles who can figure out what the little brat needs. Oh so obvious and the author plays with it but never has the guts to actually go there. As with other recent books (a la E.L. James), this book leaves the reader feeling less intelligent for having read it.
So whats the pet peeve part?
I've been reading stories all over the place, and I am floored at the number of people who will post things they have wrote without re-reading/editing them. Holy smokes, its crazy how much of this is out there! Honestly, if you are going to write something you intend others to read, make it legible! If you write about characters, choose a name--ONE NAME, mind you--and stick with it! This last one is probably the one I see the most and the most annoying--people who write a story and the main character changes names constantly-I've seen as many as four name changes in one story! Oy! I guess what I am saying is proofread people! I admire those who have the courage to put their work out there for others to see, but if you are going to do that, why wouldn't you take the time to ensure its your best work?
Alright, that's the end of that rant. I guess doing this with books being prepared for print release has made these mistakes more obvious and annoying to me than they used to be. I hate seeing people put writing out there that doesn't reflect themselves or their quality of writing because of obvious and distracting mistakes that could easily be fixed with a proofread. <end rant>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Life around here has been much the same--I'm moving forward and trying to focus on the good memories I have of my dad. My little one is still struggling with his loss, so much of my focus has switched to helping her learn to grieve without shutting herself down. She asked about his cause of death, which was pneumonia, and unfortunately that has her terrified now because she had a very severe case of it the week before he passed. It was going around everywhere, lots of people had it, and littles was very sick when she had it. When she found out that is what he died of, she asked if she was going to die too even though hers had passed, and we had to try to explain to her why she got better but he didn't. I'm not sure if she fully understands what happened or why yet. Its been difficult to explain this to her without making her fearful or bringing her to tears. Right now, we're just answering her questions as they come up, and letting her know its alright to let out any emotions she feels while trying to keep her feeling safe and loved.
Ace is keeping a cautious eye on me--letting me figure out how to process and move on while keeping me close to Him. I've slipped a few times, and each time He has taken me firmly back in hand without anger and without making me feel guilty. He is just the right combination of firm and gentle, and I don't know what I would do without Him.
Its not been an easy few months, but its getting better. I'm looking forward to fun things coming up, possible business opportunities, concerts and vacations this summer, and maybe even returning to school and going for a bachelor's degree.
In the meantime, I'm finding ways to keep myself busy and resting in my Ace's love.
~sugar
No comments:
Post a Comment