Thursday, September 8, 2011

My favorite quote

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt".

I've been thinking about that alot--especially these last couple of days. Its so easy to forget the power of words--to say something casual or in passing, without stopping to think about the cost to others. In my sociology class, we've been studying how each one of us affects the other--and how many people we rely on each day just to survive. That really made me stop and think about my day to day interactions--how I speak and act towards others. I've never been good at communication. My mouth always seems to get me into trouble--I'm trying really hard to curb that. My sister came for a visit this last week and I was quite surprised by the interactions between her and her husband. I can see alot of what I used to be and how I used to behave there. Unfortunately I can also still see alot of it present in me. Until now, I havent been taking enough time to analyze the things I say for potential problems before saying them. On that note, if I've offended, even slightly, I apologize--if not, I swear I'll try not to. I know this problem isnt exclusively mine---its just something I've been thinking about and need to work on.

3 comments:

Mikki said...

Your right, this problem is not exclusively yours! Thank you for bringing this nasty little problem out into the light.

I am sickened when I think back to how I used to talk to S. I was so no nice or respectful! I'm better, but not where I'd like to be!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the club sugar. I wish I could take back many things I have said.

I complement you on understanding what needs to be changed.

Lea said...

You're such a sweetheart, I can't imagine you'd offend anyone, and certainly not intentionally. Totally hear you on the mouth getting you in trouble thing. On that note, if I'm not still around in 6 days, it's been REALLY nice interacting with you! :-)