Monday, August 29, 2011

A Message

I was sitting in the couch with my daughter watching a Disney movie. She fell asleep very close to the end so I left it on the same channel in case she should wake up. This particular channel, later in the evenings, always shows certain religious programs which I normally do not watch. This particular night however, Joel Osteen came on---having been raised in a very strict Bible Baptist home, I was familiar with this speaker. This progam was his Inspiration Night for this year and from the start I found myself captivated by his words. He spoke of recognizing oneself and being willing to accept and use the gifts we are given each day to their  maximum potential. As I said, normally I wouldnt have bothered to  listen, but something about that message, and other things he said, rang true for me and were things I needed to hear. Towards the end of that program, I moved to the computer to check email and other daily things-again without bothering to change the channel. Not long after, another program came on, this time with an unfamiliar speaker by the name of Ed Young. I once again found myself captivated as he spoke of the Poor Boy (or girl) Syndrome---a pattern of thinking a person gets stuck in where all they can think about or focus on is what they dont have, rather than being thankful and exploiting the things they do have. That hit me like a ton of bricks. This is exactly where my mind and attitude have been lately. I've been working on changing my attitude---I've bitten back angry retorts and sarcastic comments to respond instead with humility and I am trying very hard to be thankful and to show it this last week. But these messages were much needed reminders that I can and should be doing better.

I'm looking back on this past week and recognizing times I could have done better--things I shouldnt have said or could have said differently. I am also looking at the few times I did do better and being thankful that I responded appropriately and in a way I could be proud of. I'm recognizing that with a little more effort, the potential exists for me to become exactly what I said I want to be.

2 comments:

Lea said...

It's funny sometimes how the things we are needing to hear just jump out at us. There is always room to move forward but don't forget how far you've come.

Anonymous said...

Very lovely and inspiring post sugar.