Saturday, October 15, 2011

Dr. Pepper

So, we were watching the baseball game tonight when a commercial came on t.v. for a new Dr. Pepper that has only 10 calories. The commercial was very "macho" and played off the Terminator/ Indiana Jones theme. I am someone who normally rolls my eyes at displays like this. I very truly believe that men and women should be treated the same and have the same opportunities (including wages!!) I submit to my husband willingly and try to maintain a level of deference for men in general (I am not always successful, but I do try to be respectful and if I cant be that, then I try to at least be silent). However, this position in no way means I am a pushover or a doormat to be stomped across. Respect is a two way street. While I submit to Ace, He does not demean me or put me down and that is a very important aspect to our relationship.

Anywho, back to the commercial. As I said, this is something I might mutter a comment about---something along the lines of "sexist, chauvanistic bullcrap". I didnt tonight--both Ace and His little brother were sitting in the room, as well as my daughter, so I bit my tongue. And then........oh lordy, folks........and then, they went and said it. The slogan at the end of the new Dr Pepper commercial:

"ITS NOT FOR WOMEN"

I tell you what.......not only did I react, but BOTH my Husband and His brother jumped all over that. The first to speak was my brother in law who  commented on how very sexist and disgusting that was---this from a 21 year old! THANK GOODNESS THERE ARE MEN LIKE THIS IN THE WORLD!

This prompted alot of discussion between Ace and I, none of it even remotely supporting this ad in any way. Let me just  say, I am SO SO SO THANKFUL for a husband  like Ace. Not only does He love me, but He shares my view of women as a whole and has genuine respect for those in His life and for women in general. He said alot of things in support of women tonight that just melted my heart and made me fall in  love with Him all over. I am so lucky to have such a caring, sensitive man in my life. We talked about this quite a bit and He shared with me how the message of this advertisement is something He hopes our daughter will never believe-----we have always believed in the idea of pushing her to recognize her own "awesomeness", whether that means as a dancer, construction worker, teacher, police officer, or whatever she decides. I believe that is true for everyone---the potential to be awesome (or as I usually say "awesomely amazing") rests in each individual. Its not our job to dictate roles---its our job (particularly with our children) to recognize the unique potential that rests in each soul (which dont have a gender by the way, but thats a different discussion!) and do everything we can to fuel that potential and see that is is realized.

Ok, this is turning into a rant.......sorry! :) I am truly thankful for my Ace and for men who are willing to stand up and show their support for women.

P.S. Please join me in boycotting this brand and other products made by its parent company (7-up) until they remove/apologize for this advertisement. This is just degrading and disgusting and there is no excuse for it whatsoever.

3 comments:

Lea said...

I just saw this commercial the other day so know which one you mean. It is totally ridiculous.

Anonymous said...

Sugar,
I hated that commercial. Stupid and sexist. Maybe, worst commercial of all time. No more Dr. Pepper for me; not even the other types that I enjoy. I dumped a half-filled bottle after the commercial.

I am glad that Ace and his brother felt the same way. I am not surprised based on all the nice things you have said about him.

Well done rant; I am glad you posted on this topic.

joey

Mikki said...

Consider my family and friends in on the boycott! My son loves Dr. Pepper but is willing to not drink in till they withdraw the ad!!

Everybody has to have a soap box... you chose a good one!! ;o)